Potato Leek Gratin
- 4 lbs russet potatoes - peeled and sliced thin
- 3 leeks - cleaned (white and pale green parts only) and sliced into 1/4 inch strips (about 4 cups)
- 8 ozs Gruyere cheese - shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsps kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, add the sliced potatoes, cream, salt, pepper and about 2 1/2 cups of the Gruyere. Mix well, set aside.
In a medium saute pan, add the butter, olive oil and sliced leeks and saute over medium heat till the leeks begin to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer the leeks to the mixing bowl with the potatoes. Mix well.
Butter the inside of your favorite casserole dish. Add the potato mixture to the dish and using a spatula smooth out the top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top of the gratin and place it in the oven.
Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes until the top is golden brown and the potatoes are well cooked. Let set for 15-20 minutes before serving to allow it to firm up a bit before slicing.
NOTE: this gratin can be cooked ahead days in advance and simply reheated at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.